A slip and fall accident occurs suddenly and can cause both emotional and physical pain. The injuries can make it challenging to work or take part in your favorite activities. In some severe cases, you may suffer brain injuries or serious fractures. For this reason, it's essential to ensure the negligent party compensates you.

Working with a slip and fall injury lawyer will improve your odds, mainly if your accident occurred in areas like a restaurant, shopping mall, government offices, hotel, parking garage, or apartment building. They will prove that the accident was caused by the property owner's negligence and get you a fair settlement depending on your condition. Here is how a lawyer can help.

Provide Legal Advice

If you have never had a slip and fall accident, you likely don't know what to expect when it happens. A slip and fall injury lawyer can offer advice on what to do and explain your legal options in detail. They will also recommend the steps to take if you want to get compensated for the injuries. You can hold the property owner accountable for losses like lost wages and medical expenses. 

Prove the At-Fault Party's Negligence

The trickiest part in getting a slip and fall settlement is to prove that you were not at fault. A good lawyer will establish the negligence of the company owner, property owner, or government premises where the accident occurred. The first thing they'll do is analyze the accident and gather any available evidence to prove the property owner is negligent. 

They may also do some research to determine if there have been similar incidents on the same spot. Once they have strong evidence to show that the area poses risks to people's health and lives, they will file a lawsuit to showcase the property owner's carelessness.

Negotiate a Settlement or Represent You in Court

In most cases, slip and fall accident cases are settled out of court, and you cannot handle this on your own. A lawyer can help you calculate the present and potential damages correctly to protect you from losses after the incident. They will then present the settlement proposal to the insurance company and negotiate the offer on your behalf. 

If the case goes to trial, you will need the lawyer's help to battle the insurance company or negligent property owner in court. They will handle the technicalities of the court case, ensure your documents are in order, and that you don't miss deadlines. The lawyer can also represent you in court.

For more information, reach out to a company such as Siben & Siben LLP.